Purpose and work of the Hornsby Trust
The name of the Trust
The Hornsby Pacific Education Trust was set up in memory of Reg and Mary Hornsby, who spent two years of their retirement rebuilding St Andrew's School physically and educationally.
The Hornsbys arrived in New Zealand from England in 1951, when Reg became Headmaster of Christ's College, Christchurch. In 1963 they moved to St Paul's Collegiate School in Hamilton. On their retirement they were asked by the Bishop of Polynesia to go to Tonga and rebuild St Andrew's.
They are remembered in Tonga with great affection and respect. The present-day campus of St Andrew's is a strong reminder of their work. The lives and careers of many Tongan men and women are also a great reminder of the high ethical and educational standards they set.
The work of the Hornsby Trust:
- raising funds to help with the development of St Andrew's
- organising work parties of volunteers to renovate school buildings, teach and assist students in class
- providing academic and financial advice for the school's leadership
- providing support for individual families with payment of school fees
- assisting ex-students of St Andrew's to undertake further study
Esetia Schaumkel (pictured here on right in the kitchen of Ahopanilolo Technical College) is currently taking a course in catering at tertiary level. Her fees are being paid by the Hornsby Trust. For many years Esetia has wanted to become a chef, and she has in the past worked in the school kitchen with several groups of Hornsby volunteers.
Young men from the Christchurch Reformed Church re-roofing the piggery at the St Andrew's plantation, helped by senior students of the school.